Northern multi-branch Law Firm – operation and strategic fit of finance function following implementation of a new Practice Management System
- Implementation of the new PMS had caused significant problems in the accounts and cashiering teams in this 30 partner 8 office firm
- David reviewed the detailed operations of the team, identified significant issues including:
- Very significant backlog of bank reconciliations following the PMS implementation
- Numerous posting errors
- Lack of understanding of junior cashiers as to the processes they were following
- Lack of confidence at partnership level in their finance function
- David subsequently acted as interim FD to ‘stop the rot’, manage the rectification of the reconciliation process, retrain the team, supervised the incumbent Financial Controller in focusing on the management accounting deficiencies and ultimately restored the confidence in the function.
Major London based orchestra with international reputation – review of management and finance function
- Concern was expressed by the recently appointed Managing Director and trustees that the finance function was sub-optimal and that the overall administration structure was not adequate or appropriate to deliver the future strategy of the orchestra.
- After a review of the whole administration function and a detailed review of the processes within the finance function a new structure was proposed including:
- Recruitment of a new Finance Director with a wider remit to manage certain other functions, particularly IT and logistics;
- Replacing an IT system that was no longer fit for purpose;
- Improving management information requirements to better inform decision making; and
- Streamlining the number of functions reporting directly to the Managing Director.
- Subsequent assignment to assist in the FD recruitment process.
Manufacturer / Distributor
Family owned multinational manufacturer and distributor of computer components –establishment of centralised finance function
- Second generation Hong Kong based family business with operations in China, Hong Kong, Canada, USA, UK and Germany. Turnover cUS$150m and growing 20% year on year.
- Recruited to create a centralised group finance and reporting function, bring the various operations then operating autonomously under tight financial control, overhaul management reporting and oversee a restructure of the group to position it for flotation.
- Work also involved extensive Transfer Pricing analysis and documentation.
Importer / Distributor
Privately owned rapidly expanding importer and distributor of home improvement products primarily through on-line channels with a growing trade business
- Working with this client to develop a new 3 dimensional financial reporting structure to replace the outdated flat structure, developing a new chart of accounts to embrace many of the presently unused facilities within their existing IT systems;
- Reviewing budget processes and models to ensure their model has full integrity and can be readily updated.
- Coaching existing Financial Controller to achieve greater potential in the wake of outgoing FD.
Producer / Distributor
UK subsidiary of major paper producer and distributor. UK Managing Director needed his senior team to have a very clear focus for next three years and to work cohesively with increasing light touch involvement by him so he could focus on other projects for the group.
Ran an Action Centred Planning programme over two months to enable the team to agree objectives, develop underlying strategies and a detailed action plan. Plan submitted to and agreed at Group level.
Importer / Distributor
UK business importing and distributing technical imaging equipment. Managing Director needed to focus on other projects and consequently needed his senior team to run without his full-time involvement.
Ran an Action Centred Planning programme to enable the team to agree core objectives for the business, formulate underlying strategies and agree a detailed action plan.